The Concept3D map platform has a powerful search engine. Below are some frequently asked questions on how search works, and the best way to get desired results.
Q: What impacts search results?
A: The search algorithm uses the following items to determine if a location will return in search results:
- Title: Every location has a title. This is the item that is most heavily weighed in your search results.
- Keywords: Another optional field, keywords, are never visual seen by end users on the front end map. The sole purpose is to ensure a location is returned in a search result when that keyword is searched. For example, if you have a location that is commonly misspelled, you may add the misspelling to the location as a keyword.
- Descriptions: Descriptions are optional but can be added to every location. Adding a term to a location's description will ensure it is returned when that term is searched.
Q: What is the best way to get a location higher in my search results?
A: There are a couple of things that can be done to increase how high a location returns in search results.
- Make the location title shorter. Shorter location titles return before longer titles.
- If possible, ensure the term being searched is used in all three search influencers (keyword, description, title - especially the title, given it has the highest influence on the search results.)
- Repeat the term within the description.
Q: What is 'Strict Search'?
A: Strict search is a way to limit the number of items that return in your search results. This setting, which can be turned on via the Options tab in the CMS, results in only EXACT matches of titles or keywords being returned in your results.
For example, if you are searching for "information desk" and you only search "info" - the location "information desk" WILL NOT return. However, if you search "information" or "desk", the location WILL return.
A workaround for locations that may have common terms not in their title is to add a keyword. So, for the information desk example, if "info" is added as a keyword, then when "info" is searched, the "information desk" location will return in the results.
Q: Is there a way to turn off the search feature or have it shown by default?
A: Yes, within the options tab there is a setting called "Search Bar Display". From here you can choose to have your search bar "Hidden" (meaning it will never display), "Open" (meaning when the map is first open the search bar will display open), or "Closed" (our default option - meaning the icon displays in the top bar but the end user needs to select it to view the search field).