You can create a waiting list ticket option once you've hit the cap on an event's registration (or you can create the waitlist option before the cap is hit, it's really just your preference).
To do this, you will need to:
- Navigate to the event in the back-end > Tickets & Registration tab
- Click Add ticket > Create a name for the ticket (Something that will let users know they will be added to a wait list)
- Select Waiting List in the Ticket Type dropdown
- Save Changes
When a user registers through a "waitlist" ticket they will not receive the usual confirmation email with a QR code. Instead, you will be able to set a custom email message that explains that they have been placed on a waitlist and will be notified if a spot becomes available.
From there, if/when an Admin is notified by a registered user that they would like to cancel their registration or ticket for an event, the Admin will follow the steps below:
- Cancel the user's ticket (Navigate to the event in the back-end > View Confirmed Tickets > click on the user's confirmation number > Cancel ticket)
- Hide the non-waitlist tickets (click the pencil icon next to the ticket > Additional ticket options > Settings > check Hidden)
- Create a Promo Code attached to the hidden ticket
- Email the first waitlist user with the Promo Code (or the entire list with a first come, first served approach)
- When the user enters the promo code on the event page, the hidden ticket will become available to them (promo codes can also have usage limits). This will ensure that another user cannot register for the newly opened spot in lieu of someone on the waitlist.