Custom Submission Form Guidelines
In order to encourage higher-quality submissions, many of our customers elect to add extra guidelines to the submission form that are tailored to the organization’s policies and workflow. In addition to clarifying organizational standards, these instructions can also offer users suggestions to make their events more successful.
1. Right Side: The guidelines can replace or sit next to the default Adding an Event and Batch Event Add boxes.
Suggested for: Communicating policies, acceptable content and editing process
2. Above the form: The guidelines sit above the form. provide users what to expect after their event is submitted, as well as any policies they should know about before filling it out.
Suggested for: Providing users with what to expect after their event is submitted, as well as any policies they should know about before filling it out.
3. In the form: The guidelines can be placed in between the fields in the form.
Suggested for: Directions or hints specific to form features and functionality.
- BEST PRACTICE -
Be concise. The more text and instructions you display, the less likely your users will actually read to the end. We recommend starting with minimal instructions, then expanding to address common questions or mistakes arising over time.
Place and style appropriately. If you are communicating multiple points or instructions then we recommend breaking them up aesthetically or placing specific instructions directly within the form.
Include extra organizational details. Don’t just limit this space to event form specific instructions. This is a great opportunity to display contact information, links to other organizational resources or other related systems.
Examples and Ideas
- Who is the calendar serving?
- What events are appropriate or inappropriate?
- Who can post an event?
- What is the approval process?
- How is an event edited?
- When should an event be posted?
- What is the purpose of a custom field?
- Why are certain details important?
- Are there any best practices?
Additional information or resources
- Are there training materials?
- Are there event planning resources available?
Adding Custom Guidelines
Custom guidelines, whether added on the right side or within the form, are added using the Theme Editor.
- Navigate to Settings > Platform Settings > Appearance
- If you do not have a custom theme, select +Add Theme
- Select Edit HTML for your custom theme
- Scroll down to Events
- Add HTML to the Public Event Submission Form file and/or _edit_sidebar
- The PESF file is for adding messaging within the fields. _edit_sidebar is for adding content to the right column.
- Save Changes
- If this is a new theme, select Activate to publish your changes.