There are multiple options for sharing your map with the world:
- Direct Concept3D URL (or redirect to Concept3D URL)
- Iframe Embed
1. Direct Concept3D URL
All users are provided with a live, hosted webpage unique to their map. The URL structure looks like this: https://map.concept3d.com/?id=[mad_ID]. You are free to use this URL anywhere and everywhere. It is actually recommended, but not required to use our direct URL when embedding your site in another via iframe.
- Simple, no setup work on your end
- Do not need any additional IT support on your end
- Why not?
- Does not match your branding via URL
- No direct control over SEO (we provide a description for search engines, but not additional features or functionality)
- Related Option: Redirect Concept3D URL
- Do you want the simplicity of the Concept3D URL, but want an easily shareable URL for quick map access? With a little bit of help from your IT staff, you can put in a redirect.
- A redirect is a way to send users and search engines to a different URL from the one they see and select. So you can easily share a link like “www.yourwebsite.com/map” but have it redirect to our hosted site, https://map.concept3d.com/?id=[map ID].
2. Iframe Embed
An inline frame (iframe) can be used to expend external websites/content (like the Concept3D hosted map) within page of an existing webpage (like your website). In this option, the Concept3D map URL )https://map.concept3d.com/?id=[map ID]) will be embedded in an iframe within your existing website.
- You want to keep the map within existing website look & feel (header, footer, etc)
- More control over SEO
- No need to share an SSL certificate with us, or let us host one on your behalf (necessary for CNAME option below)
- You have an existing page of your website where the map lives embedded and you want to keep it consistent.
- Why not?
- You cannot get a page created in their site to host the iframe code.
- Your website header does not create a great mobile experience.
- You’re main website is not secure (does not use https requests)
- Your website is in Drupal (you may need to create a custom Drupal extension to embed your map within an iframe in Drupal)
A CNAME specifies an alias or nickname for a canonical name record in a domain name system (DNS) database. Which is really a fancy way of saying it is a URL that looks different from the map.concept3d.com URL, but acts the same!
- Concept3D Clients can create a custom name outside of the normal domains. For instance, instead of www.client.edu/maps you want maps.school.edu (and you cannot get the internal team to create a web server for you).
- Custom share URLs automatically work and still using our branding
- Your website is in Drupal (you may need to create a custom Drupal extension to embed your map within an iframe in Drupal. A CNAME can be a simpler option).
- It is included in all Concept3D Interactive Map Packages
- Why not?
- You do not want to let us host an SSL certificate on your behalf.
- Very minimal control over SEO (we can add a custom description to the map that will return in search results)