Communities are essentially another form of filtering that is location-specific. The most common use of Communities is for higher ed organization that have satellite campuses or non-profits that have chapters located in different regions.
Communities vs. Filters
Unlike Filters, Communities can be assigned to a different timezone than the platform’s main timezone. For example, if an organization’s main location is on the East Coast, but a chapter or division is on the West Coast, the events for the West Coast Community would match the West Coast audience’s timezone when added to their external calendars. If your organization is located in areas with the same timezone, filters on places or events would effectively offer the necessary layer of filtering for communicating an events location. Example of Location-based Filtering:
- Region / Campus = Filter Family
- State / Campus name = Parent Filter Item
- City = Child Filter Item
Communities are added on the Localist side and not through the Admin Dashboard. To inquire about adding Communities, please email email@example.com with the following information:
- Display text for each Community
- Timezone for each Community
Assigning Places to Communities
Places are assigned to Communities so that when an event is attached to a Place Page, it will be included in the Community automatically.
- Navigate to Classifications > Places > Add Place or select a Place from the list
- When in the Place Page create/edit form, you will see Community listed under Settings
- Select a Community from the drop-down list
- Save Changes
Related Article: Filters