Filters are a large piece of your calendar’s overall taxonomy that enable you to divide and assign events to various broad categories or types. Filters provide Users with information surrounding the format (Event Types), the information covered (Topics), who can attend (Target Audience), etc.
They are 100% customizable which means you can easily match the expectations of your audience by categorizing events in terms they’re already familiar with.
|Filter Family||Title of a unit of Filters.
|Filter Item||Broad categories under each Filter Family.
1. In your Admin Dashboard, navigate to Classifications > Filters. On the Filters page, you will see three Filter Families available by default:
|Event Types||Filters that categorize Events.|
|Group Types||Filters that categorize Group Pages and Department Pages.|
|Place Types||Filters that categorize Place Pages.|
These Filter Families cannot be removed, but if no Filter Items are added to these families, they will not display on your calendar. If you would like to use these Filter Families, but need to assign them a different name, please email email@example.com.
2. To add a new Filter Family, click + Add Filter or, to add a Parent or Child Filter Item, select the Filter Family to which it belongs.
3. If adding a new Filter Family, you will have three application options:
|Events||The Filter Family will be available for selection on the Public Submission Form and the Admin +Add Event forms. It will be displayed on the Calendar Homepage, in Channels, the All Events page, the Event Landing Page, and the Results page.|
|Places||The Filter Family will be available for selection when creating a Place Page (Place Page creation form) and will be displayed on the Places to Go directory and on the Place Page.|
|Groups||The Filter Family will be available for selection when creating a Group or Department Page (Group or Department Page creation form). It will be displayed on the Group Pages directory, Department Pages directory, on Group Pages, and on Department Pages.|
4. Next, select the new (or existing) Filter Family from the list. Here, you will see two options:
|+ Add Item||This option will allow you to enter one Filter Item at a time.|
|+ Add Multiple Items||This option will allow you to enter an unlimited number of Filter Items at a time. You may enter up to two levels of Child Filter Items per Parent Filter Item. The first level Child Filter Item is specified with one dash. To specify a second level Child Filter Item, add two dashes.|
Filters can be moved (reordering their display) or can be updated (for spelling, etc.)
Spelling updates will change everywhere on your platform, that said, if you change the Parent Filter for a Child Filter, it will only update for new events.
For example, let's say you have Athletics as a Parent Filter Item, and you have Play as a Child Filter Item nested beneath Athletics. If you assign Play to an event, the event will be give both the Child Filter Item (Play) and the Parent Filter Item (Athletics). If you later move Play to be under another Parent Filter Item (such as Sports), your event will still have Athletics (Parent Filter Item 1) and Play (Child Filter Item) – it will not show up when looking at Sports (Parent Filter Item 2). However, when adding new events, the Child Filter (Play) will display beneath + will be connected to the new Parent Filter (Sports). Editing -- Here’s just what will happen when you edit your Filter list:
- If you change the name of a Filter, this change automatically updates throughout the platform.
- If you remove a Filter, any event assigned to a Filter that was removed will remain in the system, but lose this assignment (and only this assignment).
- When you remove a Child Filter, events previously assigned to it will remain under the Parent Filter.
Assigning Filters to Events, Places, Groups & Departments
There are a few different ways to assign Filters to Events, Places, Groups & Departments in Localist. In your Admin Dashboard, navigate to Classifications > Events, Places, Groups, or Departments > +Add or Live For Events, you will see a drop down per Filter Family with its corresponding Parent and Child Filter Items listed in the drop-down.
- You can select as many Filter Items items as desired.
- You can select either just the Parent Filter, just the Child Filter, or both – keep in mind, if you select just the Child Filter, the corresponding Parent Filter will automatically be assigned to your Event.
- For Group, Department, and Place Pages, you will see one drop-down called Place Type or Group Type.
Include in Bulk Uploading
1. In your Admin Dashboard, navigate to Events > Bulk Add Events
2. While on the Bulk Add Events page, select Download CSV Template
- This will download a spreadsheet with pre-populated headers to match the Filter Families you have entered on your platform, such as Event Types. When entering Filters in the spreadsheet the terms must match exactly. If the Filter Item is Athletics then you cannot use Athletic.
- After you have completed your spreadsheet, export the document as a CSV and upload into Localist.
Assign a Filter to a Feed
1. In your Admin Dashboard, navigate to Events > Feeds
2. Select +Add Feed or an existing Feed's title.
3. Under Content Overrides you will see the same drop downs that are available in the Public Submission Form and the Admin Event Form. Selecting a Filter on this page will assign the Filter to all of the events that come in via the Feed during the nightly import.
Default Date Range
The number that is displayed in parenthesis next to Filters corresponds directly to your platform’s Default Date Range, which you can find on the Appearance page. The Default Date Range dictates the time range and amount of events that will be displayed upon selecting a filter so the number on the homepage will always reflect this. Example Breakdown:
- 50 “Athletics” events overall
- 25 this month
- 10 this week
- 2 today
- 15 in the next 30 days
If your Default Date Range is set to:
- This Month: the homepage will display - Athletics (25)
- This Week: the homepage will display - Athletics (10)
- Today the homepage will display - Athletics (2)
- Next 30 days the homepage will display - Athletics (15)
After clicking a filter, if a user selects a different “view by” option than what is shown by default, then the Filter list on the results page will update accordingly. For example, if the default is this week with (10) events and a user selects month then the list will show the 25 “Athletics” events for the month and the filter count on the right hand side will also update to match.
Changing Your Default Date Range
1. In your Admin Dashboard, navigate to Settings > Platform Settings > Appearance
2. On this page, you will see Default Date Range
Ordering of Filters
Filters are sorted by the number of events then alphabetically when the count is the same to ensure that users are shown the most popular or prolific event types first. It is not possible to change the list to be 100% alphabetic. Sorting the entire list alphabetically would cause Filters with the highest count to possibly be hidden under show more while other Filters without any upcoming events would get a prime spot.
Here is a list of filters sorted by the default of # of events then alphabetically:
Fitness and Recreation (29)
Information Session (10)
Academic Calendar (2)
Entertainment (1) » Exhibit (0) » Movie (0) » Performance (0) » Reading (0)
For comparison, here is how they would be sorted 100% alphabetically. Note how “Fitness and Recreation,” which has the highest amount of upcoming events would be hidden below “show more" and there are now six Filters with zero events listed at the top.
Academic Calendar (2)
Community Service (0)
Show More ↓