July 10, 2020 : Map Release
Implement and Integrate Concept3D Tile Server
- Description: All Leaflet and MapboxGL maps are now using Concept3D’s very own Tile Server! This includes Interactive Maps and maps in the CMS as well as features such as Print Map and Static Maps. The Tile Server is not yet used for 360° Maps, Tour Builder, satellite view maps, or maps using Google map tiles, but we hope to integrate the Tile Server into these services in the future.
Above is an example of one of the many OSM maps that now use Concept3D’s own Tile Server.
(ADA) Prompt CMS user to add Alternative Text to image being uploaded
- Description: Alternative text allows screen reader users to understand the content of an image. Alternative text also gives sighted users a more in-depth understanding of the image. To assist with this, CMS users are now required to enter alternative text whenever they upload an image.
The image editor automatically opens after a CMS user uploads an image. Users will be required to add alternative text to the image for accessibility.
Link CMS users to Zendesk Help Site from Map Tour creator
The location of the new Zendesk Help site link while creating or editing Map Tours.
Various Bug Fixes
July 22, 2020 : Map Release
MapboxGL maps load directly to specific orientation
- Description: MapboxGL maps are unique compared to OSM/Leaflet and Google maps. MapboxGL maps have the ability to tilt and rotate the map view. These are represented by pitch and bearing in the map share URL now, and can generally be thought of as map orientation. MapboxGL maps will load in a classic, top-down view, but quickly and smoothly animate to the specified orientation once the map tiles are loaded.
The new, smooth loading animation for MapboxGL maps with specified orientation.
August 4-12, 2020 : Map Release
Revisions Information in Publish Tab
- Description: CMS users are now able to get more specifics about their revisions before publishing! Information specific to the revision that was made, as well as the author and revision time, are now available via an additional information area.
The info button now expands and shows more information about what specifically was changed.
Hide Map/Satellite button if there’s only one option
- Description: CMS users can select whether or not to display satellite view on maps in their general maps options. Therefore, sometimes there isn’t a satellite option. This caused a confusing user experience when users would open the menu and only see one option, map, that was already selected. That Map Layers button has now been hidden for maps that only have one option.
Notice the lack of the traditional “layers” button that opens to reveal Map and Satellite options.
Always show map controls on mobile
- Description: “Accessible design is good design” is a mantra we now apply ourselves to in making design decisions for Concept3D. Not only is it accessible to have controls always be visible, but it also benefits all users by providing multiple and clear options for users to control the map. This update simplifies the user interface as well by removing the Map Controls option at the bottom of mobile maps.
Zoom and map/satellite buttons are now always visible on mobile maps.
Notice the lack of the Map Controls button. Any attributions previously in the popup are now available via the attributions popup.
Update Mapbox attributions on mobile
- Description: Mapbox made some updates to their attributions policy, we created our own Tile Server, and we updated the location where Concept3D’s attributions are shown on mobile. These three changes inspired a redesign of where any attributions live on mobile, external or internal. The attributions popup now houses any relevant attributions.
Make MapboxGL the default map type
- Description: Clients can either use our own tiles or MapboxGL. Both of these options are more modern tile solutions.
August 20, 2020 : Map Release
(ADA) New Attributions background color CMS Setting
- Description: Automated checkers are often used to assess our Interactive Map’s accessibility. A criteria that is often noted is the lack of contrast with our attribution links. This is often due to the color of the map behind the links. However, to help ensure contrast, the CMS now has a new setting that allows users to set the background color behind the attribution links. This setting is called Map Attributions Background. It can be found under Miscellaneous Options in the Front End Styles tab. This setting defaults to transparent to ensure consistent styling for existing clients.
The new Map Attributions Background setting is located under Miscellaneous Options in Front End Styles.
The Map Attributions Background setting allows clients to set a background color behind the attribution links at the bottom of the map. This helps with accessibility, specifically contrast for low-vision users.
September 28, 2020 : Map Release
Preview Mode in the CMS
- Description: CMS users can now preview changes to locations, tours, categories, and styles. To do so, users can select “Preview Revisions” from the Publish tab in their CMS. A new tab will open an Interactive Map loaded with the changes. The Interactive Map will have an alert letting the user know they are in a preview. If the preview is over 15 minutes old, the preview won’t load and users will also be alerted.
Press Preview Revisions in the Publish Tab to preview any revisions made in the CMS.
CMS users previewing their updates will see this alert at the bottom of the webpage.
The preview is only good for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, if the preview is viewed, the user will receive this error notification.
Clearer Icons and Colors for Route Builder Nodes
- Description: Route Builder nodes and their previous colors could easily get glanced over as they blended in with the map. These nodes and their respective icons and colors have been updated now so that each node type is clearly identifiable by color and shape. No node types share similar colors or shapes.
The new icons and colors used for nodes in Route Builder in order of left to right, top to bottom.
Remove Basic Print Map
- Description: The upcoming Print Map update focuses on increasing the usability of our Generate Print Map tool. The Generate Print Map tool will be able to handle any Basic Print Map functionality, so links to Basic Print Map have been removed from both Interactive Maps and the CMS.
(ADA) Update Interactive Maps to use Landmarks
- Landmarks are attributes that describe major areas of a website and help screen reader users efficiently navigate a web page. For example, there is a “navigation” landmark that should encompass any menu or navigation elements in a website. Our Interactive Maps now make use of these landmarks to better assist screen reader users.
Article is closed for comments.