Creating a Property View in Google Analytics 4
To create a property view in Google Analytics 4 to utilize analytics in your tour, follow the steps below:
1. Go to Admin and select your account. If you have more than one account, be sure to select the correct one.
2. Under the Property column, select the Create Property button at the top.
3. Name the property and be sure to select a name that is easily identified. For example: “Concept3D University 360 Tour”. Select the proper timezone. Select Next at the bottom of the page.
4. Enter business details specific to your organization. Select Create.
5. Next, set up the data stream. Select the Web button.
6. Enter “tour.concept3d.com” in the Website URL box and add a name for the data stream. Again, be sure to make it something easily identifiable like “Concept3D University 360 Tour”. Once this information is complete, select Create Stream.
7. We recommend leaving the default Enhanced measurement settings toggled on. However, if there are Enhanced Measurements you would like to NOT track, select the Settings icon and toggle off any areas you would like Google not to track.
8. Your new property and data stream are complete! Take note of your Measurement ID. You will need to entered this in Tour Builder under Account Settings in the field titled Google Analytics 4 Measurement ID.
9. Once your Property and Data Stream are setup, you'll want to extend the Data Retention setting for your property. In the Admin page, open Data Settings and click into Data Retention.
10. Set the Event data retention to 14 months. Google Analytics will retain your data for this period!
11. After your data retention policy is extended, you'll want to add a few Custom Dimensions to capture legacy data from Universal Analytics. In the Admin page, open Custom Definitions and click Create Custom Dimensions.
12. There are two main Custom Dimensions you'll want to add: Event Category and Event Label. Universal Analytics had these dimension, and this legacy data is still available under event_category and event_label in Google Analytics 4. Add the following information and hit save to capture this data.
13. If you'd like to track which tour stop events occurred on, you'll want to add two more additional Custom Dimensions: Tour Stop Name and Tour Stop Number. Add the following information and hit save to capture this tour stop specific data.
14. Once these Custom Dimensions are setup, you'll be able to filter and see things like locations and which maps are seeing the most engagement!
Creating a Property View in Universal Analytics
To create a property view to find the map analytics easier in your Google Analytics account, follow the steps below:
1. Create a property for tour.concept3d.com
2. Go to Show Advanced Options
3. Click the option to Create a Universal Analytics Property
4. Once in the Universal Analytics property view, copy the URL you wish to track. Then check the option for Create a Universal Analytics property only.
5. Save your view